market-farming - RE: Fruit labels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster AT globalcircle.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Fruit labels
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:02:21 -0600

You don't need to genetically alter them-try labels!! see
below...............

Barb - on the continental divide
http://globalcircle.net

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_694309.html?menu=

Scientists grow Halloween apples with spooky faces

Scientists have grown a new apple for Halloween with spooky pictures on the
skin.

[Pumpkin image on an apple]

The apples have green images of pumpkins and witches.

There could be Santa versions for Christmas and heart-shaped designs for
Valentine's Day.

All the apples have been grown specially in Kent for Waitrose.

Spokesman Gordon Fairbrother told The Sun : "The possibilities are endless.
You could even have personalised apples."

The process of producing the images begins in spring when tiny Falstaff
apples are individually wrapped while still on the tree.

As harvest looms, the covers come off. Stickers in the shape of the
pictures are applied to the pale fruit, which is then allowed to ripen for
10 days.

The apples are set to go on sale at £1.99 for four.

Mr Fairbrother added: "One of the greatest challenges in the food world is
to make fruit appealing to children."

Food expert Dr Kate Evans told the paper: "The apples will still have
exactly the same nutritional content."

Story filed: 07:56 Tuesday 22nd October 2002