market-farming - Re: organic tobacco questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: organic tobacco questions
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:57:07 -0500

So Liz,

If I wanted to grow organic tobacco, I could and be able to sell it?
Hmmmm. Who buys it? Is it severely regulated I wonder? I just love the
smell of tobacco.

Yeah, they grow tobacco down in Platte County - over by Weston I think.
Over by the Missouri River. I believe there is an auction or was at one
time, over there. I don't know what kind of tobacco they grow there. I
don't even know what kinds there are.

There is a guy around here from Canada. He was an expert in tobacco
growing and came here to make his fortune. Turns out he couldn't get
allotments and turned to some other kind of farming. I was just blown
away when I found out about allotments. That's when I realized that
we're not living in a free country after all. I even wrote letters to
my congressmen and women but they just sent form letters back.

Marie in Missouri