market-farming - Re: organic tobacco questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: organic tobacco questions
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:15:50 -0600

Marie

There are still tobacco farmers around Weston. The auction is called The New
Deal Tobacco Warehouse in Weston. That's where a bought my Mechanical
Transplanted Mulch Layer. A lot of people are getting out of the tobacco
business and you can get cheap plant setters there at the equipment auction
every spring.

There are allotments in Missouri still left and you can get them today. I
suppose they are very cheap since people are leaving the business in droves.
I know of a farm in Stone County (home of Silver Dollar City) that still has
allotments. (Persimmon Hill Farms) Last I knew they leased them.

I do believe you can now sell your tobacco directly to some of the organic
cigarette manufactures or Indian Tribes that now have their own brands.

Kevin