market-farming - Re: Does anyone have experience with precision seeders?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Does anyone have experience with precision seeders?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:31:37 -0500

http://www.marketfarm.com/cfms/cole_multiflex.cfm

-----Original Message-----
From: Willie McKemie [mailto:mckemie AT austinfarm.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 7:35 AM
To: Market Farming
Subject: [market-farming] Re: Does anyone have experience with precision
seeders?

> Next year we hope to automate our direct seeded crops using a precision
> seeder which would be a huge labor savings. Does anyone have any
> experience with any of the below seeders: If you know of other
> precision seeders not listed, please advise.
>
> - Planet Jr. (not a precision seeder, but I am interested in the seeds
> it does well)
> - Stan-hay
> - Milton Garden Pro/Starco
> - Cole Multiflex

I have two Planet Jrs mounted about 9" apart on a tool bar. I use them
with "pretty good" success to plant spinach, pelleted carrots, okra,
beans, southern peas, and sweet corn. The bed tops have to be pretty
clean, soil moisture has to be pretty good, and soil texture has to be
not too loose and not too tight for them to work well. We still hand
seed watermelon, cantaloupe, squashes, and very small seeds such as
arugula, mustard, radishes; though we plant only a few feet of those
small seeded crops. We typically plant one to ten acres of the Planet
Jr seeded crops.

I am interested in planters that will plant through some trash; anyone
have suggestions? Anyone have a URL for the Cole Multiflex?

--
Willie ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

---
You are currently subscribed to as: rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu