market-farming - Re: NY Times: Small Organic Farmers Pull Up Stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NY Times: Small Organic Farmers Pull Up Stakes
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:20:10 -0500

Phil, you should have let him keep deceiving himself instead of customers.

It's folks like him that made it necessary, IMO, to have the USDA get involved in organics. It's the same principle as with a distant cousin who, after she and her husband retired from dairying, kept about five cows and milked by hand to sell to a small route of customers. I always suspected her standards of sanitation, but when I saw her salvaging used plastic milk jugs at an illegal dump -- not knowing whether they had contained only milk or maybe pesticides, and probably only intending to give them a cursory rinsing anyway -- I knew at that moment why the gov't was in the food inspection business.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi