market-farming - Re: Pricing leaf veg

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim and Diane Hunter <huntersgreens AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pricing leaf veg
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 06:22:17 PDT

Steve,

We price by eighth, quarter and half pounds. Sometimes it seems silly,
and sometimes it confuses the customers, but it helps with the sticker
shock. My rule of thumb for justifying this bizarre scheme is to try to
anticipate the amount someone might want to buy for two people, and price
that quantity, e.g. my french filet beans are price at $2 a half instead
of $4 a pound, my arugula is priced at $1 per eighth rather than $8 a
pound.

This is my first time responding to one of these e-mails, someone let me
know if I'm not doing it right