market-farming - RE: Market customer attendance falling off?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Market customer attendance falling off?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 21:00:21 -0500

Rick,
We maintain a distribution list of close to 100 customers interested in our
products. We started using it to market our winter produce (see our website
for details) since Farmers' Market runs only May through October, and our
winter produce is November through April. Last year, we decided there was
no reason to suspend that style of marketing in the summer. The biggest
difference is they pick up their orders at the Farmers' Market rather than
having them delivered to their door.

On Tuesday, we send an email with available produce and prices for
Saturday's market. They have to have their order back to us by Thursday
evening. In winter, we harvest to those orders. In summer, we hold back
the produce ordered for customer pickup. Often, we go to market with over
50% of our harvest already sold. Nice! Also, keeps people involved with
the farm year-round - a relationship rather than just selling produce (or
beef, cut flowers, perennials, etc., etc.)

We average 1-2 new customers per week in the summer that want on our list.
We figure our market town of 50,000 could support at least 20 farmers like
us, we have more business than we can produce for most weeks.

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com