market-farming - RE: Market customer attendance falling off?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Market customer attendance falling off?
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 20:36:49 -0500

Julie Vaughn wrote:
> Just wondering if most markets fall off in customer attendance for
> everyone after the beginning of the new school year or if that is just a
> problem in our area.

Last week was the Labor Day weekend and the market seemed good here in SW
Wisconsin. This weekend it was also good and it seemed that there was
actually increased activity. The weather was very nice, especially early in
the morning.

In addition to our regulars, we continue to have some new people who are
either passing through, vacationing in the area, or who are moving to the
area and wanted to check out food access.

When we have special events that compete with the market, such as "Wild West
Days" the week prior to Labor Day weekend, the market was about the same in
terms of attendance. It doesn't seem to hurt us or help us. The events are
held less than a mile from the Farmer's Market location. We do not have any
events at the market as there just is not enough space for that.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers