market-farming - scientific method

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Maroc <maroc AT islandnet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: scientific method
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:19:08 -0700

Bill Shoemaker, most of us on this list probably agree with what you say
about "sound science". This is a term or concept we hear a lot in the
polarized discussions (?) of biotechnology, mostly from proponents of
biotech, many who accuse their opponents of "junk science". Many proponents
of agricultural biotech are truely balanced thinkers, honest experimental
technicians, and broad minded enough to consider the views of others.
Unfortunately it seems that those who most often use the phrase "sound
science" are the charlatans who sell their services to organizations which
pre-determined goals - which is certainly not scientific methodology.

I'm an old dirt farmer and perhaps are less than scientific. When I check
out some growing soil I look at it, feel it pressed and crumbled in my hand,
smell it and taste it. Then I observe the plants growing in it - they know
as much about soil as we ever will. Somewhere between experience
(accumulated knowledge) and intuition I make a judgement and decide what
action to take. I suppose it would more percise to send a sample to a lab
for testing but I like this closeness with the soil, the earth. The only
thing I ask is that real scientists respect my methods as much as I respect
theirs.

Don Maroc
Vancouver Island, Canada