market-farming - Re: scientific method

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: scientific method
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:01:56 -0500

Leigh Hauter wrote:
> My personal problem with scientific method is not the method but,
> like everything else, the people and organization who control what
> science is inquiring about.

To put it in perspective what percentage of scientists are you suggesting
are dishonest people? I would suggest that there are very few indeed and it
is mostly in the lay public's mind that things are so perverse. It is true
that if you are a doing a controlled study and the results make your
organization or company look bad, you may not make it public. But this goes
for not just companies but for any organization.

> Rather than 'people science' we often
> have 'corporate science' and as the economics textbook says, a
> corporation is concerned with making money.

Part of the purpose of a corporation may be to "make money" although that is
not always completely true either since it depends upon what their purpose
is. But the main purpose of any organization, must be to provide something
in the way of goods or services that others want or need or you will not be
able to prosper. Corporations allow us to do that whereby other forms of
organization (such as coops, mutuals) have not always worked as well as we
would like.

> And making money and
> helping people aren't necessarily the same thing.

They had better be or whatever you are doing is doomed to failure. What
organizations are you suggesting are only there for making money and do not
provide any goods or services of value? (OK, OK, I know that some are
thinking I am describing some parts of the government:)

The demonizing that I see on this list does not seem to be a positive and
uplifting kind of discourse. Wouldn't it be better to specify something that
you honestly is wrong rather than take the brush and paint so widely as has
been done?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm