market-farming - Re: Heirloom Tomato Trials

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aufdenkampe Family Farm <ddovala AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Heirloom Tomato Trials
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:54:16 -0700 (PDT)

Bob

Do they publish the results on the internet? Can't make it to Jersey in August or September, but would like to see the conclusions. Thanks for the info!

Sandy

 sunnfarm AT netscape.net wrote:

One of the perks of living in the garden state where market farming is still the largest industry is the many vegetable field trials of crops that interest us. Last week we had our annual grower meeting at our southern state research farm, we got to see and compare 35 varieties of mint, 29 varieties of Oriental Eggplant, 6 new Tomatillos, 9 hot peppers and about 100 new fresh market hybrid tomatoes, 35 new plum tomatoes,and every cherry type you can imagine. But the main attraction was 109 varieties of heirloom tomatoes, staked on raised beds and drip, we got to taste test everyone. Its rare to be able to compare so many different tomatoes in the same place under the same conditions. We could compare 6 Brandywine strains with a new hybrid Brandywine called Brandyboy along with a new 1.5 ounce cherry brandy.
I think the north Jersey research farm will have a field day open house on August 28 at 6PM showing the same tomatoes on siltloam soils, it would be worth your time to check it out. There may be another chance around Sept 12 at the sustainable ag tour on the same farm.
Better yet get your own state to do some test plots after all they spend so much of your tax dollars trialing corn and soybeans they should be able to make room for market farmers...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.