market-farming - Re: Aspartame, and food approval as usual

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Aspartame, and food approval as usual
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:48:23 -0500

Marc,
It is just such a comment as yours from another person, about GMO's and
questioning Arpad Pusztai's results that launched me into an extensive
period of research on GMO's, Pusztai's research itself, and the influence of
corporate dollars on scientific research - not only on what is funded, but
also on what is published. In the other case, the person I referenced above
was wrong. There are indeed very basic difficulties, both environmental
(especially environmental), in terms of health, and in terms of
avialability to the average world farmer, with GMO's.

Perhaps you are right about the Aspartame - and if it weren't campaign
season, I would most likely start a research on it.

I have a healthy suspicion about rulings (or lack thereof) of the FDA,
but only because I have reviewed available literature on various issues, and
have found evidence of corporate influence repeatedly. Perhaps I am wrong
in the instance of aspartame.

You have a bias for GMO's and for the FDA. Therefore, I am a bit
suspicious of your opinion:^) It does not fit with what I have learned
through reviewing the available literature these past several years.
Sincerely,
Jill