market-farming - RE: Hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marc" <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hoophouse
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 15:34:02 -0600

Hoophouses made of PVC may be made more wind resistant by a simple bury
technique.

The ends of the hoops, base perimeter and cross pieces are all made of PVC
and PROPERLY GLUED TOGETHER. Proper gluing consists of a PVC compatible
primer and a PVC compatible glue ad follow the directions.

Cross pieces are glued from hoop end to hoop end using PVC fittings called
"side outlet" TEE and 90 degree ELBOW for the corners. These are usually a
special order item.

Center pieces are glued from the center of the buried cross pieces to the
top most point of the arch. These will have little upward support but will
hold the center of the hoophouse down.

The ends of the hoops and perimeter pipes are then BURIED under the earth,
gravel or dirt. We use a 2 foot bury on our 96 by 30 footer.

Marc Nameth
Ark Valley Farms....