market-farming - Chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Chard
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:19:43 -0400

I'd sure like to hear how other growers manage their chard.

Chard is a funny plant. A good friend of mine who has run a CSA for many years says that people don't like to eat chard. A recent survey of the 150+ members of our CSA indicated that manly people feel that they don't get enough chard each week from us!!

So, how do you handle your chard?

How often do you water? Some people have told me that chard requires a 'constant drip.' I almost agree, but I also find chard prone to rot and fungal problems, so...I wonder how other people manage it.

How do you harvest? We take the most robust inner leaves, leaving the large outer leaves and the newly emerging inner leaves. I've heard, however, that some people cut the entire plant each week, while some take only OUTER leaves.

How long do you expect a planting to last? I usually get a full season from one planting but this year the Fordhook is bolting already. (Crap, I thought it was a biennial.) I've had better luck with the Rainbow Chard from Johnny's

Finally, do you have any good chard recipes to chare, oops, share?

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co, VA