market-farming - Field bindweed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Don Maroc <maroc AT islandnet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Field bindweed
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:37:55 -0700

Bindweed, morning glory - it's almost too painful to write about. On our place the two a different plants. The morning glory seems to be a better climber and has larger flowers, It's a huge headache on the raspberries and blackberries. The bindweed is everywere, even in parts of the lawn. Last year the bindweed ruined production in a potato patch, tangled root masses took over the potatoes. If it is cultivated with a rotovator all you do is break up the roots into small pieces, each of which sprouts new plants. I got frantic and did some hand digging. A foot down I found roots the size of my little finger, but I didn't get it all, they grew deeper. It's been suggested that if one can cultivate often enough to keep the vegetative growth from happening the roots might die from lack of nutrition. But who can spend all their time on a fallow field of bindweed, If someone has a solution they should be canonized.

Don Maroc
Vancouver Island, Canada