market-farming - Re: Farming in the Heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: M McGuire <Michael.McGuire AT uvi.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Farming in the Heat
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:52:06 -0700

Heat stroke can be fatal. There are liability issues there.

I have worked with farmers in a number of different poor countries and often they are in the field before sunup and take up to 4 hours off in the afternoon for a hearty meal and a nap in the cellar. That leaves them refreshed for 4 hours of hard working in the late afternoon and early evening. That schedule poses difficulties in a country like the U.S.

On my farm we work until 1 or 2 and then I do paperwork and run errands after a late lunch. Evening is family time.

Anyway, that's my two bits.

No one has mentioned this, so it's probably understood, but it is vital to
have plenty of water out there and to be sure everyone is drinking enough of
it.

Marj