market-farming - Farming in the Heat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Farming in the Heat
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:25:55 -0400

Unseasonable heat again today. Mid-90's. High humidity, to boot.

I'm wondering what sort of standards some of you more experienced growers have set on working in the garden during heat waves. Especially when working with volunteers or interns.

I'm working on a 'start early and take a long lunch,' but it's been 'too hot' even at 3pm a couple of times already this season. There is definitely enough weeding to be done to say that we do have plenty of work to do and shouldn't just sit around unless it's prudent to do so.

On the other hand, I see migrant workers work right through this sort of heat.

How do you handle heat at your farm? (Of course, you New Englanders won't really now what I'm talking about. ;-)

Thanks

-Allan Balliett
Loudoun Co, VA