market-farming - garlic scapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: garlic scapes
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:07:59 -0400

Sandra, first Kris is right if ya can't ask a question how will you learn.
I had scapes for the first time last year because it was the first time I
planted hardneck garlic. Softneck garlic has no scapes (experts may feel
free to correct me). Anyway all garlic does not send up shoots. The funny
thing is I have no scapes yet. I am sure some of the saved garlic was
hardneck, maybe I am just behind a bit such a rare thing :). Beth
Sandra
Scapes are the shoots that will come up in the centre of the plant. The
shoots
will curl and have a a flower (seeds) if not broken off after the curl makes
one full turn. They should be broken off for the garlic bulb to properly
mature
( something to do with the enzymes).
And there are no dumb questions; just dumb answers -sometimes !!!
Good luck
Kris
Blue Heron Farm