market-farming - Re: Garlic Scapes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Garlic Scapes
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:28:03 -0400

Cut the scapes while they're still young and tender- while the bud is
still closed. I cut them a few inches below the curl and bunch them in
dozens. Label them as "gourmet" and they fetch a good price for not
much work.

I tell customers to use them just like the garlic cloves; and I stress
that they're easier to chop than cloves. Use them for garlic butter, in
bean and pasta salads, or to flavor their favorite dish. We steam them
on top of stir fry, also.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm