market-farming - RE: Peppers & Eggplant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Peppers & Eggplant
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:43:05 -0500

We find that our bell peppers need staking. We don't always do it, but when
we don't, the weight of the crop inevitably pulls the plants over, then the
peppers are prone to rot where they touch the moist soil. They don't need
as tall a stake as tomatoes, 3-4 feet is sufficient, one to a plant.
Florida weave would also work, I think. It is most critical in our early
hoophouse peppers which both grow taller and have even heavier crops than
the outside plants. We are using King Arthur as our main green to red bell
and the fruits are HUGE.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
Smiths Grove, KY
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com