market-farming - Re: manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: manure
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:23:21 -0600

Peg - I'm assuming that the manure will be delivered in much smaller amounts
- more like 2 to 4 tons at a time. I was going to have him dump each load
separately so I can take the load and begin mixing it in with our old hay
that didn't get out of the pasture last summer. We'll rent a bobcat for
scooping the manure onto a real pile.

I'm just tired of never being able to make enough compost. I need organic
matter in my main field and would love to be able to have enough compost to
literally spread it on some beds instead of merely putting it "in the hole"
at transplant time. So if I wanted enough compost for about 1/2 acre of
beds (or more) I figure I could use somewhere between 6 and 10 tons using
the figures in Start With the Soil.

Have just ordered purple vetch for frost seeding on beds I didn't get to
last fall when it was too dry to do any decent bed prep. I think this will
help for this year.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas