market-farming - Re: Soap-making, Bean harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Soap-making, Bean harvest
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:09:58 -0500

> eternal January optimism - LOL!! I get this too!
>
> Sue - what is CP goat's milk soap? just curious -

I use milk from my goats to make cold process soap. Basically I mix lye with
frozen goat's milk and then mix with oils- (olive, palm and coconut oils) and
can add herbs from my garden and essential oils to scent. The soap is really
wonderful- great for sensitive skin because it is so gentle and mild and the
goat's milk makes the lather real creamy. I started off with a slow start at
the market but it caught on. The sales slowed down at the peak months and
then
picked up again at the end so it was good to have during off times. It does
take some time and materials that you must buy. The big plus is it is not
perishable and just gets better and more mild as it cures. I usually sold it
for $3.50 a 4 oz. bar. To be perfectly honest I am not sure how much profit
get after I factor in my time milk goats, drying herbs, making soap, buying
supplies, wrapping and labeling but I enjoy it and had great sales over
Christmas. I will give it another try this year. I already have soap piled
up
all over my house!
Sue