market-farming - Soap-making, Bean harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Soap-making, Bean harvest
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:27:32 -0600

Regards to the list:

Hey Joan!

You went to the vegetable growers' conference! And met Phil from Iowa! Two of my favorite people met each other!

I would like more information about the glycerin soap-making too, if you please. Or aim me to the web site to learn more. I'm thinking that might be something that would sell in my shop.

The shop is very busy. The slow days are what my busy days were at first and the cake orders are coming faster and faster. I'm not getting rich yet, but I'm able to pay the bills. Cream puffs fly out the door (I know you wouldn't eat them, Joan) and the whole wheat bread and scratch cinnamon rolls are popular. We're serving homemade soups and ham, chicken, tuna and cheese/pimento salad sandwiches on homemade breads for lunch. You get 1/2 sandwich, bowl of soup and a cookie for $3.75. So far, the soups are vegetable/beef, chicken/noodle, chilli, potato and ham and beans (with cornbread). I have a fruit soup recipe I'm dying to try. Don't know how people will like it but it's gotta be good - it has tapioca in it.

I want to put together some jars of cookie mixes, soup mixes and try my hand at soaps. I hope to sell produce later on and can tomatoes, pickled beets and green beans for sale. I would like to plant lots of different dry beans for interesting soup mixes, but harvest is such a chore. Does anyone have suggestions about harvesting and cleaning dry beans? Do they make little walk-behind combines that are affordable? Perhaps we could alter the TroyBilt tiller??

I wanted to go to the vegetable conference but I was slaving away at a hot oven. I know you learned tons.

Marie in MIssouri

promised Phil (from Iowa) more info too when we met at a grower's conference
in Missouri.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas

---
You are currently subscribed to as: kampy AT grm.net
leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu