market-farming - Re: "Minor" subdivisions of land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: "Minor" subdivisions of land
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:09:43 -0700

From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>

come December, remind me when it's 4 in the morning, 20* and we're mucking
stalls for horses that close the loop on this farm (organic fertilizer/grass
powered mowers) that we aren't "real" farmers.....

Hi Liz, I think, (mabe it's just an assumption - I can't speak for Don) that what he was referring to is the estate farms that are similar to the one that we lease property from and their neighbour. We lease 5 acres of land, the property - including estate home - is estimated at 20,000,000 canadian dollars out of ALR, (we don't live there, we just have a little trailer down the road and love farming but can't afford the land). The people who own the land usually do not care for or maintain the animals or property - especially in December. For instance the people we lease from spent Nov - Mar in the Mediterrain and then over to the Tropics. The land owners in these type of situations own land, polo ponies, etc., but others do the work and often on a lease or contract basis. It is done this way so that their land can remain at a lower tax basis. The land we lease right now is going through the process of being removed from the ALR to allow development, it will take approx. 5 yrs to go through the process. Once it is removed from ALR status the owner can quickly sell it in small 75' x 125' lots and make a tremendous amount of profit then invest the money elsewhere and avoid the high capital gains tax. Jacqueline