market-farming - determining organic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: determining organic
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:04:14 -0500

Title: [market-farming] determining organic
Our market is searching for organically grown information to provide our customers.  Our farmers all have to be certified but because of a previous year’s farmer who pulled the wool over more than one set of eyes, some of our customers have asked how they could have told if she was really organic or not.  I’m wondering if there isn’t already a discussion sheet written somewhere that could be used for this.  In this woman’s case the questions should have included whether she even grew what she sold.  With brightly painted, impeccable long fingernails every week, I’d have to question it – I haven’t had decent or clean fingernails since about April!

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas