market-farming - Re: Vendor selection for Farmer's Mkt.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Vendor selection for Farmer's Mkt.
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:39:02 EDT

In a message dated 7/9/01 8:13:44 PM Central Daylight Time, HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
writes:

. If accepted, the new vendor might put one or all of
the current vendors out of business.

We have been trying to grow by using more Farmers Markets rather than more
wholesale( give away prices), and have had a lot of resistance from some of
the markets vendors, market managers, and etc.  The problem is they don't
want to have any competors.  We are quite large for some the smaller towns
that we have went to and we have done quite well in most of them.  It takes
new vendors in a market to make it grow, or it just stays in the same
structure with very little new items coming to the markets.  I don't believe
in cutting prices and usually we a quite a bit higher priced than the other
vendors in these smaller markets, but we are bringing in different product
and produce that sttracts customers to our tables, like cut flowers, potted
herbs, hanging baskets, and etc.  As long as this chicken producer is not
there to just DUMP, then I feel they could be good for your market.  The more
the vendors at a given farmers market the more the customers looking for
products.

Homeside Farm Market
Phil from Iowa