market-farming - Re: Vendor selection for Farmer's Mkt.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Vendor selection for Farmer's Mkt.
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 18:51:16 -0700

Hi Linda, at our FM the rules state "Persons conducting a storefront operation (exclusive of farmgate sales) shall not be permitted to sell from the market unless approved by the market board of directors". I don't know if this large chicken operator has other methods of selling but this rule offers the farmers running a smaller operation the opportunity to make an income without having larger competition that usually has several employees to assist them. A lot of smaller farmers cannot afford the labour needed to acquire the larger quantities of produce that these larger operations have available. Plus when bigger business comes to the market you lose the festive atmosphere that seems to gleam from the place, the quaint little stands, friendly farmers, etc...., you would then have the regular thing that could be found in any mall or plaza, the uniqueness is gone because your small farm operators will have to go elsewhere.

I truly hope that your directors can come to a reasonable agreement on this subject. Jacqueline