market-farming - Re: harvest festival

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Victoria Mundy Bhavsar <toria AT pop.uky.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: harvest festival
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:02:58 -0400

Two thoughts here. One, my town does do a harvest festival as someone
suggested. This year it was on June 30, when I had to be away. I've
actually never gone for one silly reason or another every year. :P But it
was begun with some help from the Kellogg Foundation. It is, I'm sure, a
divil of a lot of work. And in this town I'm fairly sure although I
haven't seen from my own observation that the entire clientele and
participants are white, rich and/or educated liberals. Hmmmmm.

The other thing is that...I should get my sister to comment on this
herself...she was once the point person for a small network of farmers in a
local area. She dealt with the restaurants, the newsletters, the this,
that, and the other so these farmers could sell their stuff locally. It
was a great idea with a few glitches that needed smoothing out. I expect
the model is easily transferable.

Oh, one more thing. I buy from a delightful CSA, the first year I have
done so and I love it. My farmer (*my* farmer, thank you and I'm very fond
of him and his wife :D) has a dream that several CSAs will operate around
this town and serve lots of people. Since each CSA can only serve about 60
families, there should be heaps of opportunity. How can such a thing be
encouraged?

Victoria

At 08:04 AM 07/09/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Vicki Madden <vlmadden AT spacelab.net> wrote:
>
>"I think it would be a great idea for farmers to get together with chefs"

Victoria Mundy Bhavsar
Dept. of Agronomy, N106R Ag. Sci. North, UK
Lexington, KY 40546-0091 859/257-2103
...But other seed fell into good soil and brought
forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold,
some thirtyfold... St. Matthew 13:8