market-farming - Re: market-farming Chefs (was Fast Food and Slow Food)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons <petersns AT mail.whidbey.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Chefs (was Fast Food and Slow Food)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 07:57:42 -0700

Chefs -I do too. So I tried it. And for a season it worked really well, with plans for major expansion the next season and an invitation to bring the seed catalogs to him in January.

In January there's a new guy who gets everything he needs from Sofco at a good price and he only has to deal with one invoice, sorry. It just takes too danged long to build the relationship and it's too draining to have it all go poof like this, so I haven't pursued any others.

My experience is similar to Dori's. Chefs seem to come and go frequently, or they are always looking for "something (someone) new, " or worse, for something less expensive. Farming is a very long term project, and I've basically given up on chefs and concentrated on grocers, farmers markets and CSA. CSA is the most rewarding both monetarily and otherwise. It's also a ton of responsibility but these are people who value fresh local food and are willing to make a commitment to getting it from my farm. Chefs who come to the farmers market are great, but planning on their individual needs is difficult.

Molly
Whidbey Island, Washington