market-farming - Re: harvest festival

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: harvest festival
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 16:49:15 -0500

> The other thing is that...I should get my sister to comment on this
> herself...she was once the point person for a small network of farmers in a
> local area. She dealt with the restaurants, the newsletters, the this,
> that, and the other so these farmers could sell their stuff locally. It
> was a great idea with a few glitches that needed smoothing out. I expect
> the model is easily transferable.

Victoria - this is something I'd really like to have the information on. I
was, once again, thinking as I pulled tons of daikons this morning that this
is exactly what we need in the Kansas City area - someone we could email
with our produce quantities who could then make it available to the local
chefs in a timely manner. I bet there could be grant money for this type of
thing - it is a service for growers!

Before I pulled too many daikons I ran in and called a couple of restaurants
and two Asian groceries - no luck - so I'll leave most in, clean up what I
pulled and sell them Saturday. It would be great to have someone doing
this. I know that there was an article in either GFM or Acres about a
company who got this sort of thing started on the west coast and is now
franchising it with a $20,000 start up fee. If I had $20,000 I'd probably
retire!

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas