market-farming - Summary: 101 Uses for an old shower curtain

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "WB Carver" <wbcarver AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming List" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Summary: 101 Uses for an old shower curtain
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:16:13 -0400

Hi all,

Better late than never ?

Here is the summary I promised way-back-when on the responses to
"101 Uses for an old shower curtain"
a post that kinda started as a joke, but got so many great ideas, it
deserved a list.

We didn't quite make it to 101 (just shy of half way really) but we did get
some pretty good ideas.

Thanks to all who replied, both on and off the list.

Below is the summary. Most are copy and paste. A few were edited for
brevity or clarity.

I have not put the names of the sender on the ideas. Not that believe in
giving credit where credit is due, but...

Some people replied off-list so they may not want their names on them, and
some were duplication so - Who gets the credit? and some were on-list
replies, so you already know who you are.

Anyway thanks again to all. Maybe by using some of these suggestions, we
can reuse a few old plastic curtains, and keep them out of the land fills.

Regards,

Bill Carver
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield, NC
wbcarver AT marketfarming.com
http://www.laughingbrookfarm.com

PS: If reading this list gives you any more ideas, I am still collecting
uses. :-))

101 (minus 54) Uses for an old shower curtain

1) Ground cloth for working under vehicle

2) Tarp anything it will cover

3) Cover barn/shed windows.

4) Bed of Pick-up for shavings etc. for easy removal/clean up

5) Paint Drop cloth

6) Mat for muddy boots

7) Back drop for Market Stand

8) Roof/tent for Maket Stand

9) "Sacking out" a horse (De-Spooking)

10) Cover dog house.

11) Patch hoop / green house

12) Shade chicken tractor.

13) emergency poncho

14) Painting smock.

15) Cut into strips and use to tie plants up

16) Cut into strips and tie to stakes to scare away deer etc.

17) Cover BBQ pit or Grill

18) Use it for solarizing a small plot of the garden

19) Packing material for shipping fragile items

20) Pond liner (for a tiny pond)

21) Wrapping paper (okay a bit funky but hey...)

22) A flag (rope thru the grommets will hold it to a pole)

23) Cover recycling bins

24) Drop cloth in car for carrying wet/dirty items

25) Use it as a hammock.

26) Use it as a game if you have kids, you know,the
fling-the-cloth-in-the-air-and-all-get-under-it one.

27) As a waterproof, ant-proof picnic rug

28) Outdoor tablecloth.

29) Make your own "Twister" gameboard.

30) floor protector for starting seedlings indoors

31) for the wheatgrass that we grow indoors for juicing.

32) If the shower curtain is clear you could use it with some old hangers to
protect and insulate young transplants.

33) You could also make a bag out of it, with staples, glue gun or by other
means, and use it to store winter bed linens and/ or clothing.

34) I use a a plastic shower curtain as a curtain in our pantry. Our pantry
is just a bunch of set back shelves in the kitchen. So I got one of those
springie curtain rods and an old shower curtain and viola' all the food is
neatly tucked away.

35) "Build a Hands-Free Washer" (see http://www.bse.wisc.edu/hfhp/)
<snip>
What about the shower curtain? Well, you could cut it into a couple of
aprons to wear while you are using your new hands free washer.

36) cutting in quarters and making table covers for play dough

37) wrapping play dough for birthday gifts (the mom's love it).

38) cutting one up into strips and making a bunch of "hot water bottle" type
of tubes and filling with cold water and tying off. (For heat prone people
to use outdoors)

39) Get a water hose and make a slip and slide.

40) Drop cloth for picnic table when shucking sweet corn and then take husks
to the horses.

41) Rake leaves on it to haul to compost bin.

42) Hang over clothes line for kids hide away.

43) On the picnic table for kids play day, finger paints and all.

44) A "Splat Mat" for under a high chair - let older kids decorate it first

45) Cut it for book covers

46) Line raised benches with it and make a floating bed

47) As a substitute for a "White Board" - tape up an old shower curtain.
Erasable white-board markers will wash off and permanent markers won't bleed
through