market-farming - Re: Bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bees
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:45:26 -0400

My 2 cents.
When the mites hit the first year I lost 50 hives out of 100. The next year I lost 25 of the remaining 50. By then treatments started to appear but since my honey market was the health food stores that were buying my honey as organic, I didn't feel justified in using a treatment that left residues in the honey (yes, yes, the treatment now, if used properly, claims that there is no residue in the honey).

I got out of selling honey and just kept hives for my own pollination. There are mite resistant queens on the market now but the kinks have definitely not been worked out.

Oh, and as for pesticides, I would like to agree that drift caused the death of my bees, but my apiary and farm is located in the middle of a forest several miles from the nearest farmer. Pesticide losses, though, are always a problem with beekeepers, particularly those who rent out hives for pollination services.

  • Bees, sgilman, 06/14/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Bees, Bill Shoemaker, 06/14/2001
    • Re: Bees, Leigh, 06/14/2001