market-farming - Re: hoop wire

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vint Lawrence <vlawrence AT nets.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hoop wire
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:38:36 -0600

sunnfarm AT netscape.net wrote:

> You can easily cut hoop wire with a 14" bolt cutter that can be had at any
> hardware store

You can also use something called a "fence tool". It is like a plier, but has
two wire cutters built into it.

> > #1) I just bought some #9 gauge wire to make hoops, and discovered that I
> > can't cut it. I have wire snips but they are not strong enough. Does
> > anyone know how to cut the wire??
>
> Cut rebar using a handheld 4"angle grinder...Bob.
> > #2) Also, does anyone have any advice about how to cut rebar into pieces
> > to use in PVC pipe for hoops?

Most contractor's equipment rental stores have a tool called a rebar
bender/cutter. These are pretty inexpensive to rent (much cheaper than a
grinder) and will cut without sparks. A
long lever handle allows you to shear the bar without too much force. Make
sure the cutter is sharp!

Vint Lawrence
Santa Fe