market-farming - Re: broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: broccoli
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:41:38 -0400

Shade cloth helps down here--if, and only if, you're pushing broccoli for
side shoots. Sometimes it can be done, sometimes it can't, depending on
moisture and temperature. I never sold side shoots.

That said, I agree, Bob. I've never gotten enough out of broccoli to make
it worth my while to push for those side shoots. Indeed, it is much better
around here as a fall crop-especially after the first light frost, and
spring because it's one of our earlier crops--fall broccoli still tastes
better.

Liz