market-farming - Re: broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: broccoli
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:22:22 -0400

If you pinchout the centers and feed them a good amount of nitrogen you will
be able to get good side shoots during the summer if its not too hot, they
probably were over hardened when you planted them, broccoli is a very fast
growing plant, the addition of nitrogen and relieving the stress of the
center growing point will give the plant a second chance.
I seed fall broccoli by late June and transplant within 5-6 weeks by Aug
first and pick nice broccoli by mid October, picking can last into Feb. try a
second crop...Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

> It would appear that my broccoli will not be setting heads of any kind ­ is
> this what is called ³buttoning up²?  And will these healthy looking plants
> set heads this fall if I just leave them or do I need to restart them?
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/