market-farming - Re: broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: broccoli
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:33:30 -0400

Liz, Actually broccoil never heads around here in the summer and its a 50-50
crop in the spring at best, there are some varieties that are somewhat heat
tolerant and I have been able to get a good sideshoot crop from some of them,
but I think summer broccoli does a dis service to the crop because it tends
to grow tough bitter and chewie in this season and can turn off customers, I
think its best as a fall and winter crop when its always sweet and
tender...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

> Shade cloth helps when you're trying for side shoots later in the
> season--but that may only be regional.  You're so far north, you may not
> need it.
>
> Liz

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/