market-farming - Re: Adverrtising the Farmers' Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Adverrtising the Farmers' Market
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:40:03 +0000

On Thu, 24 May 2001 06:29:16 -0500, Del Williams wrote:

>The ad I designed for the small town paper distribution has a drawing with
>other vegetables in it. However, I think that any vegetable in an ad for a
>farmer's market is really all you need. The problem with cornucopia
>graphics is that they usually have grapes in them and we don't have local
>grape vendors at this point. Graphics can be misleading.

The solution is to modify the cornucopia to show products that are
represented. The cornucopia produces a consumer reaction, like
that expressed by Liz Pike ("Thanksgiving") which is what you want.
After all, the celebration of Thanksgiving is the celebration of a
successful harvest - not the celebration of eating turkey.

>I had the city paper design the ad that would be in their paper and,
>frankly, I am very disappointed in what we got. For $500 I think I should
>have received a professionally designed ad with creative layout.

Professionally designed creative costs $$$. If you plan to invest
money in display advertising, do yourself a favor and have a
professional art director lay out your ad so all you deliver is
camera ready or a negative to the media outlet.

You may pay more, but you will get more. I'm sure there are
freelance art directors in your area. Look at their portfolio.
The result of using professionals is a more polished look and
a bigger turnout at market.

BTW, an art director/layout person could create a cornucopia
with any fruits or veggies you wanted for the sake of truth in
graphics.

Hope the ad works better than it looks.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming