market-farming - Re: Adverrtising the Farmers' Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • Subject: Re: Adverrtising the Farmers' Market
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:28:03 +0000

On Tue, 22 May 2001 11:28:36 -0500, Del Williams wrote:

>When I received a faxed copy of the ad for proofing this
> morning I couldn't make out the produce graphic and it
> kind of looked like sliced oranges. But I called the paper
> and said, gee, we're a locally-grown-only market and we
> can't sell citrus so take out or change the graphic to
> tomatoes or corn. The designer and I got a good laugh
> out of that but maybe that says something about educating
> the public about the meaning of locally grown.

If the ONLY thing to be sold at the farmers market is corn
or tomatoes, using a tomato or corn graphic is okay.

However, if a variety of crops and products are to be sold,
the graphic should be a "horn-of-plenty" to signal variety,
bounty of the land and lots of other intuitive feelings people
connect with a horn-of-plenty.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming