market-farming - Adverrtising the Farmers' Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Adverrtising the Farmers' Market
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:28:36 -0500

I just had to pass this along with the current discussion on promoting locally grown produce.

Our market is placing two ads in the local paper (Wednesday Food Section and Friday Weekend Events section) for the opening day at the market - May 26.  The ad announces the market opening, our location, date, time, etc.  and thanks our 20 local business sponsors.  The ads are 3 columns X 8" and will cost approximately $500.

When I received a faxed copy of the ad for proofing this morning I couldn't make out the produce graphic and it kind of looked like sliced oranges.  But I called the paper and said, gee, we're a locally-grown-only market and we can't sell citrus so take out or change the graphic to tomatoes or corn.  The designer and I got a good laugh out of that but maybe that says something about educating the public about the meaning of locally grown.

Farmers' markets are not grocery stores and we do need to promote and educate everyone about what we grow and what we do.  The designer admitted it was a dumb mistake and said she couldn't believe she had selected that graphic.

Moral to the story:  Always proofread your promotional materials.

Del