market-farming - Re: Eating locally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jeay <Anne-Marie.Jeay AT clsh.univ-nancy2.fr>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Eating locally
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:48:20 +0200

Hello all,
I'm currently doing research on why farmers or gardeners like direct
marketing in France.
A good paper on the local food subject is Jennifer Wilkins' (Cornell
University) Seasonal and local diets: consumers' role in achieving a
sustainable food system. (Research in Rural Sociology and Development
6:149-166. 1995 ) first it was an oral communication at the SAREP fall
conference, Community Food Systems: Sustaining Farms and People in the
Emerging Economy. You can find it on the SAREP web site at
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/about.htm
See also on the IFOAM web site Regional and seasonal
http://www.ifoam.org/orgagri/regionalseasonal.html
I can say that here , in France, the arguments on solidarity, community
etcŠ are not good to advertise but "you can talk with the grower", "you
can look at the garden" "this product has not travelled" and (mainly
unfortunately !) "if it is not good next week you can tell it to the
gardener - farmer " ! That is a great opportunity because French people
like very (too?) much complaining when they are not satisfied.
If some of you wants to tell me (privately or on the list as you want) why
they like direct marketing I could make some comparaisons between france
and US.
Good luck for yours direct marketing.
anne marie

Anne Marie Jeay