market-farming - Re: Eating locally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Eating locally
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:15:43 -0500

Allison,
I don't know about a research design - not my area at all, at all! But
one would need to consider these factors in some way:

nutritional difference between fresh and shipped
pollution of shipped
growing methods of shipped versus local
hidden costs of shipped - if agribusiness, then products would need to
include agribusiness subsidies, increasing control of
agribusiness over courts, patents, laws, low payment of workers, and medical
problems of workers caused by but not dealt with by agribusiness etc.
- subsidies toward use of trucking of
road building, oil exploration, wars fought for oil
sources, etc.
benefits of land use preservation for growing food
food security - local food is more secure - in times of drought or flood or
other natural disasters, then local food systems can trade with
next local food systems

More affective areas of research could include:
relationships between growers and those who eat the food - in terms of
trust, knowledge of the food and how it was grown, involvement and/or
connection in the livelihood of the grower
taste of the food available locally opposed to that shipped
increased choice in what foods are grown - feedback to growers, requests
to growers, etc.

Jill

From: Allison Brown <[redacted]@yahoo.com>
Subject: [market-farming] Eating locally