market-farming - Re: Eating locally

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Eating locally
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 19:14:11 -0400

>Not only will the market have economic benefits for neighboring businesses,
but it will benefit the community as a >whole. For example, in some areas
farmers' markets benefit the community by preserving neighborhoods and
>encouraging the retention of agricultural land near cities. In many urban
areas, farmers' markets also can lead to >reviving the central business
districts . In summary, farmers' markets benefit farmers, consumers and the
>community as a whole."

The key phrase here is >farmers' markets also can lead to reviving the
central business districts

Why should we bear the burden of reviving business districts?? Isn't our
job hard enough just keeping our farms afloat?? After spending years
selling at my last local farmer's market, and bearing the burden of being a
"tourist draw" to a dying downtown, I resent the additional burden placed on
farmer's markets by city fathers attempting to boost the pockets of local
businesses. I've seen too many farmer's markets bearing this burden whereas
the cities/towns/others did little or nothing to boost the farmers' sales.
I understand the "image" of a farmer's market lends itself well to being a
draw--but the tourists don't buy our goods.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC
http://marketfarming.net/laughingbrook/