market-farming - Local Grown Produce.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "LuckyHorseShoe Farm" <luckyhorseshoe_farm AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Local Grown Produce.
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:55:46 -0000

I have been reading the discussion on local grown produce.  We don't conduct studies however we do wan't to know why people will or won't drive out to the farm for local instead of the much larger and allways in stock produce at Earthfare & our co-op.  What we have found has puzzeled us as to people and there food choices.  Only 30% care that it is Organic,  all state fear of how the food was grown and where it was grown.  In our Feb./Mar. CO-OP news letter the produce Mgr. was trying to calm members fears about organic produce from Mexico and China.  In the Apr/May news letter he said he would be receiveing local produce, and said nothing about over seas produce.  Our customers tell us they are not going to by foods from countries they don't trust.  In the last 2 years we have gotten more requests from our new customers to see what we use in the soil, and for bug control so there is hope yet.   We are learning all the time, and only after I read a bag of Newmans own corn chips,did I learn, this is the only corn chip made with organic oil.  So I guess we will need to read more carefully the products we assume to be all organic.  We try to let people know on our web site that they can find good local food if they are willing to go after it.   I am a better Farmer than a web master so please keep that in mind.   www.luckyhorseshoefarm.com   so long for now.
Mike & Linda Arthur @  Lucky Horseshoe Farm
PS:  does any one know where we can find a tomato named Fire Steel?