market-farming - Re: value-added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill & Linda Barry" <unclebil AT bright.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: value-added
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:40:44 -0400

Hi all:

Marcie wrote:
"Raising your prices may add value - not only to you, but in the eyes of
your customers."

That is true. Did craft shows for 20 years. When I raised prices I sold
more. The same for my canned products (value-added) after the first year
we increased our prices and sold more.

"Cheap" means there must be something wrong with the product. You will get
a few "bargain hunters" but they would complain if you were giving the stuff
away. We as a group have a tendency to undervalue ourselves. That is why
it is best to check out prices around town, around the state, and across the
country and find a happy medium that we can live with. Not too high, but not
giving it away.

The "rule" we go by is that you can always lower prices but its real hard to
explain raising prices in mid season.

Most of our regulars will buy from us even if our prices are higher (not
exorbitant) than someone else's They want to know what they are getting
and who they are getting it from. That's "value added". Being able to
explain how its grown, where its grown, what's in it or on it.

Bill & Linda Barry
Barry Farm
www.barryfarm.com

  • Re: value-added, Marcie Rosenzweig, 04/11/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: value-added, S & S Aqua Farm, 04/11/2001
    • Re: value-added, Bill & Linda Barry, 04/11/2001