market-farming - Re: value-added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: S & S Aqua Farm <snsaquasys AT townsqr.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: value-added
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:40:39 -0500

At 06:39 AM 04/11/2001 -0700, Marcie wrote:
>Hi Dori, et al,
>
>Yes, "value-added" is a broad buzzword in much the same way as
>"agrotourism" is these days. I explain it in my ag business planning and
>management classes this way:
>
>Value-added is anything you do to the raw agricultural products you produce
>that distinguishes you in the marketplace from all other similar products
>and raises your product above being viewed as a commodity.
><SNIP>

Just wanted to comment that the term also has a different meaning to some
State Ag departments. We were invited to speak at the first value-added
conference here in Missouri, and were very surprised to find that the bulk
of the program was devoted to explaining to traditional row-crop farmers how
growing RR soybeans and corn was the "value added market of the future". I
know that part of that comes from having to live in the same state as
Monsanto, but really!!!

The conference did bring out enough alternative farmers that we were able to
get some decent dialog going, but they were all wondering whether their
money couldn't have been better spent.

Mostly, just beware, or more likely "be aware" of what is going on in your
conventional farming community. Their actions and decisions affect us all.

Paula Speraneo
S&S Aqua Farm, 8386 County Road 8820, West Plains, MO 65775 417-256-5124
Web page http://www.townsqr.com/snsaqua/

  • Re: value-added, Marcie Rosenzweig, 04/11/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: value-added, S & S Aqua Farm, 04/11/2001
    • Re: value-added, Bill & Linda Barry, 04/11/2001