market-farming - Lead pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin L Burkholder <gleneco1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Lead pricing
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:18:25 -0400

Hey you guys,

I was in a shoe store today and saw something that gives me a brainstorm
for the farmers' market season that is just now starting to crank up for
the season in this area. They had walls full of merchandise with tags
marked on each item SALE PRICE $x.xx and REGULAR PRICE $y.yy. On most
items the regular price was around double the sale price.

Since I plan to have most of the items I will be trucking off to market
for "sale", why not make up a tag for each item with SALE PRICE $x.xx
(the amount of money I want for the item) and REGULAR PRICE $y.yy (some
crazy high price which I might think up)? I've seen a lot of merchandise
marketed this way. If it works for them why wouldn't it work for me?
Has anyone ever tried this scheme at a farmers market? Because food is a
perishable product would it make it look like I was trying to get rid of
defective product? Or would it possibly add a little humor value to the
product and encourage the average gullible human to cheerfully pick up my
products a little more quickly at the sensible price?

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley of VA