market-farming - Re: value-added

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: value-added
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:39:28 -0700

Hi Dori, et al,

Yes, "value-added" is a broad buzzword in much the same way as
"agrotourism" is these days. I explain it in my ag business planning and
management classes this way:

Value-added is anything you do to the raw agricultural products you produce
that distinguishes you in the marketplace from all other similar products
and raises your product above being viewed as a commodity.

So recipies in the market stall or roadside stand add value. Processing
obviously adds value. Being a CSA adds many values. Frankly, superior
customer service adds value to your farm.

Raising your prices may add value - not only to you, but in the eyes of
your customers. A friend of mine grows Silver Logan peaches. These are
elegant white peaches found only at roadsides stands and farmers' markets
because if you look at them sideways, they bruise. At a local farmers'
market, she was selling them for $1.50 per pound and not doing well.
Toward the end of market, someone asked her what was wrong with the peaches
and explained she wasn't used to seeing white peaches with such a low
price. The next week, my friend doubled the price of her Silver Logans and
sold out in two hours. Sometimes we're too self-effacing for our own good.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
Auburn, CA

  • Re: value-added, Marcie Rosenzweig, 04/11/2001