market-farming - Re: asphalt

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: asphalt
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 05:31:09 -0700

Hi Judy, I had phoned our local horticulturalist regarding putting grass over asphalt (the front of our new home was all driveway and very little lawn). He had told me that I would need to remove all the asphalt and at least 1' of underlay because the toxins would kill any new grass that would try to grow, I would then have to haul in new topsoil. My concern is has anybody checked into whether the food that is growing over an old asphalt location and amoungst asphalt walkways be toxic for consumption. Mabe they have already inquired??? Jacqueline