market-farming - Re: asphalt

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Grow19 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: asphalt
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:45:47 EDT

I need some advice on behalf of a school garden in Washington DC. The garden
was started in a former asphalt playground. The design called for leaving
strips of blacktop between planting beds (I haven't seen it, just reporting
what they've told me). I assume it is to provide walkways. They tell me
that the asphalt 'was so hot that it interfered with the wellbeing of the
plants in the planting areas.

My question -- is there an environmentally safe material that could be used
to 'paint' the remaining blacktop to cool it? What color would be best?

Thanks.
Judy Tiger, GROW, Washington, DC
GROW19 AT aol.com

  • Re: asphalt, Grow19, 04/08/2001