market-farming - Re: asphalt

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mckemie AT inetport.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: asphalt
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 09:47:50 -0500

> lawn). He had told me that I would need to remove all the asphalt and at
> least 1' of underlay because the toxins would kill any new grass that would
> try to grow, I would then have to haul in new topsoil. My concern is has
> anybody checked into whether the food that is growing over an old asphalt
> location and amoungst asphalt walkways be toxic for consumption. Mabe they
> have already inquired??? Jacqueline

Asphalt and other heavy low/non volatile components of petroleum in
small amounts can be good fertilizer. It is used in many roadside
seeding projects to hold seed and soil until the seed germinates.

In oil producing areas, ranchers worry much more about salt water soil
sterilization than damage from oil spillage; the oil will break down,
while salt contamination can be very long term especially in areas of
low rainfall.

Asphaltic pavement is only 5-10% asphalt, the rest being aggregate.
For driveways and walkways, the asphaltic pavement is unlikely to be
more than 1 inch thick. However, you may have several inches of rocky
base material below the surface. Any problem you have is more likely
to be associated with poor soil texture (rock) than with petroleum
contamination.

The problems arising from asphalt and other petroleum in soil are the
mostly exclusion of air and moisture.

--
Onward! Through the Fog!
Willie

  • Re: asphalt, Grow19, 04/08/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: asphalt, jay gee, 04/08/2001
    • Re: asphalt, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 04/08/2001
    • Re: asphalt, mckemie, 04/08/2001